Basically it is a very strict diet that is to be maintained for 30 consecutive days. The point of it is to develop an understanding of how many things we eat without thinking about what the ingredients are, while doing a sort of "junk food cleanse."
Since I am not one to turn down a challenge, I took my daughter up on it and immediately regretted it! It turns out I am a junk food junkie! Plus, I love me some Dr. Pepper, and that is strictly forbidden. Did I mention it lasts for 30 DAYS???
Here are a few of the things not allowed on the Whole30 plan:
- Artificial sweetener
- Dairy products
The first couple of weeks, I was miserable. I had a headache. I was cranky. I was tired all the time. I missed my sugar fix!
Then something happened around Day 18. I got the "tiger blood!" It turns out it's a real thing! That day, I came home from CrossFit, scrubbed the toilet and the bathtub, then taped off the dining room so I could begin painting it later in the day. This was in stark contrast from the 17 days before when I just wanted to crawl under the covers and sleep the day away!
That's when I started thinking there might be something to this healthy eating thing. I really have felt more energy than I have had in years!
(Whole30 Shopping Cart)
My shopping habits have changed. My eating habits have changed. I have been changed.
I am now down to the very LAST day of my Whole30 challenge, and I have DONE IT! I only accidentally licked my finger once when I was serving ice cream to my children, and I immediately rinsed my mouth out. I have to say that even though it has been inconvenient at times, (especially when eating out or at friends' houses) and I hated it at first, I'm glad I did it. Here are a few reasons why:
- I proved to myself that I have the self control to do a hard thing.
- I showed my children what it looks like to deny self and do a hard thing.
- I now know I don't need sugar to get energy.
- I have increased energy!
- I have noticed regular digestive function.
- I no longer have stomach upset every morning from my morning coffee with flavored creamer, plus brown sugar.
- I have expanded my recipe rotation to include whole foods, without artificial ingredients.
- My friends cheered my on with recipe suggestions and tips.
- I enjoyed participating with my daughter to cheer me on.