Keeping Your Pantry Stocked

I try to keep my pantry stocked by always having an unopened package of everything. If I open my last bag of rice, I will note on my grocery list to pick up more rice. I do the same with salt, flour, sugar, etc. I don't wait until I'm running low, but instead I buy more as soon as I no longer have an unopened package. That way, I never open my pantry to see that I have only a tablespoon of flour (or sugar or rice) left.

That's what "Works For Me". Click on the link for more great tips.

I'm pretty sure I stole got this idea from another blog a while back, but I have no idea where. I think this idea even has a name, "sneaking up on your pantry", but I may be dreaming that. If you are reading this and thinking, "I invented that, and I can not believe her smockity nerve!" please, let me know that the idea originated with you and I'll give you some props.

Comments

1. Great Idea! I usually go the desperation route – it’s 5:30, dinner should already be cooking and I find that I only have 1/2 cup of rice or that the milk is gone. Ack!! 😉

2. Excellent idea!

3. Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry says:

Great tip ~ Thanks for sharing!

4. This is a good one!

5. Great tip. I’m pretty good on perishable goods in the fridge, but I often forget to add sugar or salt to the list. Thanks for the tip!

6. Mom2fur says:

Smart lady! There is nothing more helpful to a tired mommy than being able to reach into a well-stocked pantry at the end of a busy day to put a meal together! I like the idea of always have an unopened version of something. Be sure to buy things when they are on sale, with a coupon (if possible), even if you don’t feel you’ll need it for a while. I’d rather reach for my 99 cent jar of mayonnaise than have to spend gas money to go out and buy a $3.49 jar for macaroni salad!

7. Jenn @ Frugal Upstate says:

ahhh, and just getting in the habit of immediately writing down what you need to buy on a list (an teaching the hubby and bigger kids to do the same) really helps make life easier too. Whenever I “wait till later” I forget.

8. Lana G! says:

Too funny, my husband always wondered why I would buy two of everything until he ran out of shaving cream! Now he knows and lets me know when he starts can #2!

9. What a great idea! Now if I can just keep track of that dang shopping list! LOL

10. Christine says:

What a great reminder to do what Mom has always told me to do! Thanks!

11. karen b says:

i have a dry erase board on my fridge that everyone uses to write things down that they need. so whenever i hear “mom i need …” i can remind them to go write it on the board. i then check the board and add those items to my weekly shopping list.

12. I do this for my family too. It actually started when we moved to a tiny, tiny town and the only grocery store for miles closed at 6:00. Running out of ingredients three or four times, and having no where to go, will help develop new habits =)

Blessings~

13. Chelsea says:

I LOVE this idea. I am always on the lookout for things to make meal times a little smoother. Having the ingredients is always a good thing!

14. I use this with household items, also. When we pull out the last bar of soap or break into the last bag of baby wipes, those go on the list, too.